Grease Balls of Fire

Heard a call on the scanner last night about a really smokey fire at a restaurant in Charlestown. It was a one-alarm fire when I took off, relatively minor, but the smoke was what made me get in the car. I was right about it being minor — it was pretty much out by the time I got there about 10-15 minutes after the call, though it had been upgraded to a two-alarm very briefly.

Turned out it was a really bad grease fire in one of the kitchen vents on the side of the building. Unfortunately for the restaurant, the process of putting out the fire in the vents resulted in the kitchen getting flooded out. A big mess for a really inconveniently located grease fire.

5.27.2010 — BOSTON — Firefighters hose down a kitchen vent that caught fire at Olives restaurant, 10 City Square in Charlestown, on May 27, 2010. The two-alarm fire caused heavy smoke and was likely caused by a grease backup in the air vent, Boston Fire spokesman Steve MacDonald said.

5.27.2010 — BOSTON — Firefighters on a neighboring balcony take a closer look at a kitchen vent that caught fire at Olives restaurant, 10 City Square in Charlestown, on May 27, 2010.

5.27.2010 — BOSTON — A firefighter enters Olives restaurant, 10 City Square in Charlestown, to check on the status of a fire on May 27, 2010.

5.27.2010 — BOSTON — Cooks from Olives restaurant, 10 City Square in Charlestown, wait outside after their restaurant was evacuated due to a fire on May 27, 2010.

Leave a Reply